HIKING TOUR – MAIRA VALLEY
Through the valley, by following nature and local culture.
PERIOD: From May to September
Arrival in the Maira Valley - Dinner and overnight in Macra.
From Macra we recommend the Cyclamen Path that leads to Caricatori and Langra, in an evocative setting among a thousand flowers and without differences in height.
From Langra you can take the uphill path between the dilapidated houses and continue for about an hour and a half to the west; the mountain ridge leads us to the basin of Centenero and Caudano, in the territory of Stroppo.
Continuing on the path, practically level, you get to the church of San Peyre; from here, a steep mule track reaches Ruata Valle: take it and continue for 15 minutes.
Passing through Cucchiales you arrive at Ciamino and from here you reach San Martino in 15 minutes. From San Peyre to San Martino it takes a couple of hours to walk.
• Macra - 875 m
• Passage along the Cyclamen Path
• Borgata (Hamlet) Caricatori - Langra 0h 45 - 972 m
• Colle Pertus - 2h 15 - 1370 m
• Borgata (Hamlet) Centenero - 2h 50 - 1222 m
• Borgata (Hamlet) Caudano - 3h 10 - 1129 m
• Chiesa di San Peyre (San Peyre Church) - 3h 45 - 1133 m
• Cucchiales Inferiore - 4h 30 - 1345 m
• Borgata (Hamlet) Ciamino - 5h 00 - 1339 m
• San Martino Inferiore - 5h 30 - 1400 m
TOTAL DIFFERENCE OF ALTITUDE: 880 m
TOTAL DISTANCE 1st STAGE: 13,5 km
The excursion lasts about three hours. It starts from San Martino Superiore and heads towards Colle Bettone, with a splendid view from the top over the Elva valley. You continue through a basin leading to the chapel of Colle (Pass) San Giovanni. After the Pass, continue downhill to Elva. We find as many as 28 villages scattered throughout the territory. Following a small road you get to the hamlets of Isaia and Mattalia and you can already see the church of Elva.
• San Martino Inferiore -- 1400 m
• Colle Bettone - 1h 30 - 1831 m
• Colle San Giovanni - 2h 00 - 1872 m
• Cappella di San Giovanni (San Giovanni Chapel)
• Elva - 2h 30 - 1637 m
• Parrocchiale di Elva (Elva Parish)
• Museo (Museum) dei Caviè di Elva
TOTAL DIFFERENCE OF ALTITUDE: 420 m
TOTAL DISTANCE 2nd STAGE: 7,5 km
The journey starts from the square of the hamlet Serre: take the asphalt road and go a little back on the road that leads to the valley. Then continue on a secondary road to the hamlets of Villar, Clari and Dao. Go up a curvy road and climb to the Vallone di Gias Vecchio, then go on the other side of the valley through a stream. Climb further 300 meters up to Colle San Michele.Walking along an easy path halfway up the hill you descend into the valley of San Michele, reaching Borgata (Hamlet) Allemandi and Borgata (Hamlet) Chiesa and, as an alternative, Borgata (Hamlet) Cesani, Borgata (Hamlet) Villa and Borgata (Hamlet) Chiesa.
• Elva Serre --- 1637 m
• Chiosso Superiore - 1h 35 - 1700 m
• Colle San Michele (San Michele Pass) - 3h 00 - 1935 m
• Vallone San Michele
• San Michele di Prazzo - 3h 40 – 1353 m
TOTAL DIFFERENCE OF ALTITUDE: 540 m
TOTAL DISTANCE 3rd STAGE: 11,8 km
From the hamlet of Villa, go up to Castiglione and change again the side of the lateral valley. Climbing through the woods you reach the highest point of the excursion, Passo 1942. From Albeno you can see the path that leads through steep pastures to Ussolo. Descend through the hamlet Vallone passing through Draio. You arrive on the road and within walking distance you will find Ussolo.
• San Michele di Prazzo --- 1353 m
• Castiglione - 1h 00 - 1469 m
• Passo 1942 - 2h 30 - 1942 m
• Vallone di Ussolo - 3h 40 - 1337 m
• Ussolo - 4h 00 - 1337 m
From Ussolo, Transfer to Frere (Acceglio)
TOTAL DIFFERENCE OF ALTITUDE: 470 m
TOTAL DISTANCE 4th STAGE: 9 km
From Frere reach Chialvetta hamlet. From Chialvetta follow the uphill stream towards Pratorotondo and continue to Viviere, with the same route as the previous day. Instead of turning towards Colle Ciarbonet, stay along the main valley up to the beautiful basin of Prato Ciorliero and Grange Resplendino. With the remains of the barracks on the other side of the stream, begin to climb to the left starting from a votive pillar.
Along the slope there are military forts excavated inside typical chalk outcrops, with the characteristic sinkholes produced by the karst process.
Reached the Gardetta Pass, on the horizon you can see the sharp ridge of Rocca la Meja, while behind the summit of Mount Oronaje stands out.
The view from the Gardetta Plateau is another of the shows that most satisfies the excursionist gaze in the Maira Valley.
Taking advantage of the brevity of the stage we still recommend the detour to the right on the military road that reaches the Rocca Brancia Pass and the Oserot Pass: many remains of bunkers and barracks of the Second World War are silent witnesses of a historical era.
• Frere --- 1196 m
• Chialvetta --- 1490 m
• Pratorotondo - 0h 20 - 1629 m
• Viviere - 0h 35 - 1713 m
• Vallone di Unerzio
• Prato Ciorliero - 1h 40 - 1951 m
• Passo della Gardetta - 3h 10 - 2437 m
• Colle del Preit (Preit Pass) - 3h 35 - 2083 m
• Preit – 4h 30 – 1540 m
TOTAL DIFFERENCE OF ALTITUDE: 1233 m
TOTAL DISTANCE 5th STAGE: 19 km
From the Preit Pass, continue on the side of Rocca La Meja. Not far away, with a short detour, you reach the headstone that reminds the company of “Alpini” that in January 1937 was overwhelmed and killed by an avalanche. Following the wide mule track you reach the Margherina and Ancoccia Passes. Beyond the crossing place, descend briefly on the beautiful pastures of the Bandia and then go up again to the Mulo Pass; from here descend into the Marmora valley using the path that runs along the road that connects the hamlets of Marmora with the Esischie Pass. From the hamlet Ghetto, turn left to follow the beautiful Lake Resile and reach the Marmora valley. Possibility of a stop in the Finello and Vernetti hamlets. From Marmora comes off a variant: just before Torello hamlet, which descends to Canosio and, after passing the San Giovanni Pass, reaches Prazzo Superiore.
• Colle del Preit (Preit Pass) - 0h 30 - 2083 m
• Colle della Margherina (Margherina Pass) - 0h 45 - 2169 m
• Lago (Lake) della Meja - 1h 30 - 2480 m
• Colle di Ancoccia (Ancoccia Pass) - 1h 40 - 2533 m
• Colle del Mulo (Mulo Pass) - 1h 55 - 2527 m
• Gias Maro - 2h 35 - 2075 m
• Lago Resile (Resile Lake) - 2h 50 - 1986 m
• Borgata (Hamlet) Tolosano - 3h 35 - 1502 m
• Vallone di Marmora
• Borgata (Hamlet) Finello - 4h 15 - 1290 m
• Borgata (Hamlet) Vernetti - 4h 25 – 1223 m
TOTAL DIFFERENCE OF ALTITUDE: 510 m
TOTAL DISTANCE 6th STAGE: 27 km
The first part of the itinerary takes place through some of the hamlets of the municipality of Marmora: leave the town, consisting of agglomerations of characteristic and well-restored houses that preserve interesting architectural and artistic evidences, from Borgata Superiore (Upper Hamlet), proceeding through the valley in the direction of Bassura. Following the ridge of Mount Buch, reach the Encucetta Pass, where a variant comes off and descends on Bassura di Stroppo through the medieval bridge over the Maira stream. Instead, following the classic route we arrive at Albaretto, an ancient municipality that today is part of Macra and where, in the Palent hamlet (1,463m), we find the waypoint. For those who wish, from here a variant of the route comes off: through the township Aramola it leads to Bassura di Stroppo. Another variant, from Serremorello hamlet, descends to Bedale, the “capital” of Macra (bus stop).
• Borgata (Hamlet)Vernetti --- 1223 m
• Borgata (Hamlet) Finello --- 1290 m
• Borgata (Hamlet)Reinero - 0h 35 - 1465 m
• Parrocchia di Marmora (Marmora Chapel) - 0h 50 - 1548 m
• Breis Superiore - 0h 55 - 1523 m
• Strada (Road) Napoleonica
• Borgata (Hamlet) Palent
• Palent e il Monte (Mount) Buch – 3h 10 – 1463 m
• Macra – 5h 00 – 875 m
TOTAL DIFFERENCE OF ALTITUDE: 740 m
TOTAL DISTANCE 7th STAGE: 20,5 km
Price per person in double room: starting from 589,00 €
- 8 overnight stays in Half Board treatment (drinks not included) *in nice hotels, lodgings, bed and breakfasts.
- LUGGAGE TRANSPORT – each day to the following hotel and TRANSFER for the clients from Ussolo to Frere (Acceglio)
*possibility of packed lunch – to pay on site
EXTRA FOR SINGLE ROOM: 25,00 € per day